SIMPLY NO ACCIDENTS

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What We Do

I find that when I run into folks these days, the conversation becomes the same.  First there’s the obligatory “How are you?”  To which, I usually respond “Very well, thank you” and then they say something about “being too busy, no time, just trying to keep up, worry about the economy, blah blah blah.”  Then follows the inevitable “What are you doing?” – typically the second question of the conversation.  “What am I doing?  I thought it was obvious – I’m talking to you.”  Of course, I understand that they mean what am I doing in the big scheme of things.  How am I contributing to society?  How am I earning my keep?  In what way do I define myself as having value?  A title – a clear understanding of who I am!

Deciding to take a sabbatical after 20 years as a professional woman, I search for these answers myself.  I haven’t really changed.  I’m still the same person, with the same experience, the same skills.  I still walk into a room full of men in black suits, look every one directly in the eye as I shake their hand and talk business lingo.  The only difference these days is that I’m not wearing the black suit, I don’t have a title, and I’m happy.

I have a great little book on my shelf - Life's Journeys According to Mister Rogers.  Page 44 says "It's really easy to fall into the trap of believing that what we do is more important than what we are.  Of course, it's the opposite that's true:  What we are ultimately determines what we do!"

So, what does a professional woman do on sabbatical?  She decompresses, she reenergizes, she has fun, and most importantly, she becomes herself.  

1 comment:

  1. I cried tears of joy this morning after an amazing vocal performance from the 47 year old Scottish woman who was judged by her appearance seconds before she won the hearts of millions with her incredible voice. She gives hope to many, as you have with your blog. Again, I was validated after reading(all 3 entries)and remembering, there are simply no accidents.

    ReplyDelete